Where Is God When I’m Hurting?
Where are you, God?
You’ve asked the question. So have I.
The question of where God is when we hurt is a universal cry–one whispered by all humanity in the face of pain, heartache and suffering.
Oh sure, we may never ask the question aloud, but inside our fragile souls, we wonder. We wonder in the midst of our own heartache. We wonder when we witness the heartache of someone we love.
On Sunday my pastor/hubby tackled the question, “Where is God When I’m Hurting?” As I listened to his message tears pooled in my eyes. All around me I see friends, family members, co-workers, and neighbors bearing the heavy load of pain, which seems to be even more pronounced in this season.
JP’s message–God’s message, really–filled me with hope. It reminded me of God’s compassion for our hurts and His care for our hearts.
And then…it made me think of you.
Because you might be experiencing your own hardship right now. You might be hurting.
And if you aren’t, I’m certain you know someone who is.
So, this week I’m doing something I’ve never done: I’m including the link for you to watch JP’s message. I’m also including a short video excerpt I found especially powerful in case you don’t have time to watch the whole sermon right now–the excerpt is only 30 seconds long: https://www.instagram.com/p/B54QNQWF7uv/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet
And I’m listing a few scriptures I hope you’ll find comforting.
Speaking of comfort, did you know two of the names of God are “The Comforter” and “The God of All Compassion”? God’s very name speaks of His commitment to comfort us in our pain, help us through hardships and heal our broken hearts.
God is not aloof. God is not uncaring. God isn’t disinterested, or too busy, or far off.
We whisper, God, where are you when I’m hurting?
God whispers back: I am right here, my child.
6 Bible Verses to Help When I Hurt
- God is near to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit. (Psalm 34:18)
- He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds. (Psalm 147:3)
- The high and lofty one who lives in eternity, the Holy One, says this: “I live in the high and holy place with those whose spirits are contrite and humble. I restore the crushed spirit of the humble and revive the courage of those with repentant hearts. (Isaiah 57:15)
- Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, 4 who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God. (2 Corinthians 1:3-4)
- Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. (Psalm 23:4)
- Remember your promise to me;
it is my only hope.
50 Your promise revives me;
it comforts me in all my troubles.
51 The proud hold me in utter contempt,
but I do not turn away from your instructions.
52 I meditate on your age-old regulations;
O Lord, they comfort me. (Psalm 119:49-52)
You are loved,
PS. Did you know that if you receive these devotions by email you can reply and your message will go directly to me? If you have something you’d like me to pray for, please let me know (no one else will see your message). I’d count it an honor to talk to God about you and your need.
Love you, friend!